It’s very possible to eat, drink, be merry—and be sustainable!
Here are some tips for easing your impact on the environment this holiday season:
- Send out party invitations through email to reduce paper use.
- Choose decorations that can be saved and used again and again.
- Use reusable dishes, glassware, utensils and cloth napkins instead of disposables.
- If you must use disposable products, choose paper over plastic and say no to Styrofoam.
- Feed your loved ones, not the landfill! Minimize food waste by getting an accurate guest count and plan meals carefully. Freeze leftovers or send them home with your guests.
- Make recycling convenient: use signs and always place recycling and garbage bins side by side as a set.
- Choose creative gift wrapping alternatives like comics, maps, posters, magazine pages and children’s artwork.
- Save gift bags, boxes, ribbons and bows for reuse.
- If you need to ship packages, reuse cardboard boxes and packing material.
- Waxed or plastic-coated cardboard boxes are not recyclable.
You can also support waste reduction efforts with meaningful choices instead of many traditional holiday activities that are stressful, wasteful and complicated.
Consider less cooking and buying. Simplify and make time for peaceful activities like yoga and going for a hike or walk, writing letters of appreciation or volunteering.
Let waste reduction guide you away from overdoing and stress this holiday season.
More waste reduction information: www.cityofsantacruz.com/recycleright.